Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Note to Self

Eavesdropping?  One of life's guilty pleasures. In the sauna at the gym the other day, I was pondering the sad picture that of the 8 of us in the hotbox, I was the only one without earbuds and an mp3 player or cellphone filling the potentially valuable time for personal reflection. So when a couple guys came in, talking, I had no choice - I had to listen.

The one told the other, "It's my birthday on Friday." The friend asked how old, and the first one responded, "25. A quarter century. [Deleted expletive]."

Funny how perspective interprets that number. To him, he considered that old. To me, with the half-century mark in view? Oh, sweet youth.

Closing in on 25 years old...
So, I did the old guy thing - I butted into their conversation. I was thinking about being 25, and what I'd tell my younger self if I could, so I suggested, "Hey, birthday boy. Happy birthday. I'd recommend finding five people who have already been 25, and ask them what they'd want to tell someone your age. It will change your life." I'm pretty sure Birthday Boy left the sauna muttering, "Nutjob!", but I think it's good advice.

So here's the top things I'd tell myself, if I could send a letter back in time:
1. Put money aside every month. I know you're broke, but you will be for a long time. Save now.
2. Try new things. Push yourself, figure it out.
3. When faced with a choice between something hard or something easy, pick hard.
4. If you are asking, "Is she the one?", she is. You won't regret it.
5. Ride a motorcycle, do more camping, hiking and outdoor adventure. Learn to fish, because you'll want to teach your kids how.
6. Be a minimalist when it comes to technology. Embrace only what's necessary, and dump the rest.
7. Don't buy that TV.
8. Form a rock band.
9. Call your parents more.
10.Practice your music.

What would you tell your 25-year-old self if you could?

1 comment:

  1. 1. READ the Bible
    2. Regarding number 1: Put into practice what you read--don't just fill your head with facts
    3. Regarding number 1: Pay attention to what God says about you, figure out which of the things others are telling you are lies and quite believing them
    4. Eliminate the phrase "I can't" from your vocabulary--both spoken and unspoken. Replace it with "God can"--then take risks
    5. Pray more
    6. Try to reconcile broken relationships using tools of confession, repentance and forgiveness and, where necessary, restitution
    7. Come to the understanding that, while you have all the answers, others also believe the same myth--and each of you is wrong. Go back to number 1
    8. You really DON'T NEED that (our whole Christian subculture is suffering from the results of one of the lies we tell ourselves: "God I NEED that to SERVE YOU"--save more, give more, spend less
    9. Ask, "What do YOU want to do?" and do it without griping
    10. Live as if all your resources--your time, your talent and your treasure really do belong to God--because they do. Then humbly give God the glory.

    ReplyDelete