Thursday, August 9, 2012

Figuring it Out

I fueled up today. Gas prices are rising again, and I like saving money. I usually gas up our vehicles at one of those budget service stations, the kind where the word "service" is somewhat of a misnomer, where the squeegee buckets have been long abandoned, but where the dime-a-gallon-savings makes it okay. My usual gas bar is a busy spot and every customer is there for the same reason - gas is a little cheaper than the place down the block.

I do love people-watching at this particular place, because it strikes me as a peek into real America - the tradesman fueling up between jobs, the struggling single mom pumping just a couple gallons, the senior citizen resigned to self-service but probably still thinking about the pleasure of full service stops from days gone by.

This particular station is one that lacks directional arrows or signs proclaiming, "Enter Here" and "Exit Only". Instead, each customer must find a way to wiggle their vehicle to a pump, sometimes driving in nose to nose, or backing in like a bad parallel parking job. On busy days it can get a little tense, a nervous game of "jump to the pump", with the occasional customer having to drag the hose and nozzle across the car's body - the heavy, spring-loaded snake fighting back - because they couldn't get to a pump on the correct side of the vehicle.

Today I watched all this and asked myself, "Which is better: to tell the drivers where to come and go, or to let them figure it out?" And immediately, thinking about church leadership and ministry, I pondered the same question about Christian service and spiritual growth: "Is it better to prescribe the right way to proceed, or let them figure it out?"

Because I've been to the service stations with the arrows, the signs, the helpful gentleman in the safety vest enforcing the traffic flow. It is efficient. Less stress. Safer, for sure. Just pull up and wait your turn. It's a good way to get it done.

Still, I decided I prefer the chaos method. I like the freedom and responsibility and risk of figuring it out. I like the increased brain wave activity required for each of us to maneuver to a pump, even at the expense of lost efficiency. There's even a little human interaction, even if it is just a nod or a wave or some other subtle acknowledgement between drivers. In the directed lanes, I never - really, never - have even the slightest interaction with another customer. There's no need, because everything is figured out for me already.

In my years of church leadership I confess I have spent significant energy figuring things out for people. And while it is necessary that each person progress in their spiritual life, have I helped them by prescribing a journey for them? Did they really gain from my arrows and signs and traffic enforcement? Would it have been okay to let them figure it out, even if it meant some awkward moves and multiple attempts? They may even experience a little more community by pursuing what sparks their attention with others, rather than simply following signs. Like the service station, people start at differing entry points, with varying resources and pursuing individual goals.

I want to trust the Holy Spirit to direct each believer. The Apostle Paul wrote to the Christians in Rome, "I am fully convinced...that you are full of goodness" (Romans 15:14a). Not perfect, not yet complete, but still full of goodness. I have my struggles, weaknesses and preferences, as do you. And yet, we can determine to proceed in a way that fits we are, even if it's not in perfect order, because in the midst of our humanity, Christ is present in every believer.

And after all, if I'm going to figure it out, I have to let others do so too.










5 comments:

  1. Brian, this is awesome. Thanks for these reflections. Thanks also for occasionally being the one who listens to me as I "figure it out."

    Garret

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmmm... Steve & I are mulling on this - I just read it to him. Makes me think about something I heard said a while back "Jesus asked his followers questions, told stories and gave them riddles to figure out" - we have it all prepackaged and ready to apply. Perhaps the figuring out is the teaching in such a way that it's remembered and becomes a part of us?

    ReplyDelete
  3. One time I entered a gas station the wrong way, then I turned my car around I drove over their curb. When I finally pulled up to the pump the right way, I found it was out of service. When I went to the window to ask the clerk about it, he said he turned it off because of what he saw me do. I was denied service at that station because of my error!

    When we are told what to do and how to do it, there's usually some wisdom won by experience behind those instructions. But the result is often a herd mentality: don't ask just follow and things will be fine. When we don't do what we're told, and we do things the wrong way, we get to experience the consequences and obtain the wisdom behind those instructions. Maybe we should also get a denial of service as a consequence, because I'll never forget the lesson I learned!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great musings, Brian. I've often had similar thoughts albeit with differing analogies. One that's stuck with me was an observation of parents obsessively sanitizing every environment their child might possibly interact with. I'm sure the good motivation of their heart was to protect their kids from sickness and disease but unfortunately the long term results have been severely decreased and compromised immune systems. Now these kids are almost dying from their first exposure to the common cold because they weren't able to build up a healthy tolerance from repeated exposure. I've learned that we need to be challenged, go through the hard stuff, because it promotes growth and health. If we're sheltered or have all the thinking done for us we ultimately suffer. Sort of like graduating from milk to solid food that requires intense chewing and digesting, huh? ;)

    - Cale

    ReplyDelete