Monday, November 22, 2010

Dribbling Words


We have finally become a dog family. Early in the summer we took in a homeless Chihuahua-cross, named him Satchel. This has been a much better experience than I’d expected, although at times I resent the level of personal involvement with his bodily functions dog ownership demands.

And yet, walking Satchel for his “personal moments” opened my eyes to a bad habit creeping into my life. I’ve realized lately I’m a one-upper – you know, the guy who always has to add his version of your story, only a little better, or worse, or faster or slower, or somehow just superior to yours. Yeah, I’ve been catching myself doing that lately.

It might have something to do with this midlife thing. I might be trying to rely on past accomplishments to assert my significance. I might be feeling some disappointment that I’m not “all that” compared to guys younger, faster, better read, most techno-skilled, and downright better looking! And just to prove that I’m still “all that”, I somehow feel at liberty to add my two-bits.

What does this have to do with the dog? It’s like this: when Satch and I head out the door, he’s got a pretty good stream to take care of on the first couple trees. But after that, all the way around the block, he’s got this notion that he has something to leave on any number trees and bushes. It’s barely a drop or two, but doggone it, he’s going to make his mark. Does he know he’s got nothing to offer?

As I dragged him along today, it occurred to me that I’ve been guilty of the human conversational equivalent. It’s as though I just have to dribble a few words into any conversation just to make my mark. You want to tell me an amazing story? Oh, let me lift my leg and grace you with my even more amazing moment. How embarrassing. Proverbs 17:27 says, “A truly wise person uses few words” and Ecclesiastes 5:3 says, “Too many words make you a fool.”

Yes, midlife affords me the benefit of experience. I’ve been blessed to see and experience many quality moments. But none of them trumps your unique experience, how impressive or simple it may be. And even your greatest triumph should be no threat to the ways God has blessed my life. I really have no need to prove myself.

Time to test my heart – again, because “The heart of the godly thinks carefully before speaking” (Proverbs 15:28). Carry on, Satchel. And thanks for the lesson. No more dribbling words for me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment