Tuesday, November 2, 2010

The Journey

Yeah, I know. Journey. Kind of an overused word. As in "life's a journey" and "it's not the destination, it's the...". Exactly. Road less travelled, and all that.

And yet, here I am. 42 years old, and still trying to figure out my journey.

I'm going on vacation this week, and I know where I'm starting from, where I'm going, and how I'm getting there. Too bad life's not as clear - I can tell you where I've been, but not really how it all started. I certainly can't tell you where I'm going - not because I don't want to, but because I don't know myself.

But I'm starting to figure out the mode of transportation. When I was young, I thought the journey was all about high speed vision and high octane energy. Then someone told me the transport was strategic planning, well-prepared and well-executed. Somewhere in there I was told it was all spiritual - all a matter of prayer and prophetic anointing. It's some of all of those, but there's something else.

Because here I am in midlife and it has just dawned on me that the journey is through relationship. That's right. I thought my life was a solo walk to discover my purpose and eventually my bridge to Avalon. Turns out it's a bus ride (and in my case, usually the short bus), an experience of community where real people get real.

Ever been the solo passenger on a bus? Now that's depressing. Sometimes I feel like my bus is empty, and then I'll meet a friend - like one I shared a coffee with today - and I'm reminded my bus is full. My bus is full, I just need to look around  a little. And strike up a conversation or two.

My bus is a bit smelly, sometimes. Not everyone is beautiful or brilliant, to me, but they certainly are to my Heavenly Father, and they are all lovely. A few people on my bus are nothing but needy. And guess what? I'm learning I even need the needy ones; they fill gaps in my life. At times, I'm the neediest one there. And all of them combined pour into my life, like colors on a tie-dyed t-shirt. A bus with passengers is way more interesting than a bunch of empty seats.

So it really is a journey. Got a long way to go, but know this: it's a worthwhile journey.

3 comments:

  1. Welcome to "mid-life" my friend. Some say it's a *crisis*, I prefer calling mine a *circus*... I'm the one on the 2-wheeler having a blast :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Funny, as I read the first couple paragraphs, I thought of your journey as being one that helps complete other people's journeys. You as a road sign that helps give direction, didn't seem right. That was too static for what you are. Then the thought of you as a fellow traveler came to mind. You're right, that's what your journey is, one that completes itself as you help others complete theirs. Although I don't think you are ever alone on that bus.

    Loved your post.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Brian, Great blog..I remember reading all of your articles in the paper her in Chilliwack. You are a great writer and I look forward to reading more from you. Miss you around here.

    Take care,

    JAson Perrin

    ReplyDelete